Coase Colored Glasses

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

It's what's Inside that Counts

When I hear air pollution I imagine a large polluted city like Los Angelos. Never did I imagine air pollution to exsist within my own home. After reading It's What's Inside That Counts http://www.nationalinspection.net/inspector/articles/itswhat.html I was blown away to learn that air pollution levels indoors is two to five times and has even been one hundred times greater than the air pollution out doors. This is particularly dangerous when you consider that many people spend 90% of their time indoors. Indoor air pollution much like outdoor air pollution carries health hazards. Some of the short term health hazards are hard to recognize because they have the same symptoms of common viral infections such as a cold. Many of the short term effects are easily treated. Indoor air pollution also carries with it the risk of serious long term effects such as respiratory diseases, heart diseases and cancer. Some of the long term effects are debilitating and at worst fatal. It scares me to think that I might be living in a home with poor air quality...especially with the heightened air pollution in Cache valley due to the inversion.

1 Comments:

At 12:51 PM, Blogger Nicole and Andy said...

About a week ago, I was talking with one of the Research Assistants of Dr. Randy Martin(who works with the air quality in the valley). They recently did a test of outdoor air as compared to the air indoors and found that the level inside was between 40 and 60 percent of the air outside. I thought it was interesting that the study cited found the opposite...perhaps living in diverent areas has an effect on indoor pollution, but personally I trust indoors rather than the outdoors.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home