Coase Colored Glasses

Friday, March 04, 2005

Elk and Tourism, is it profitable to keep them around?

I love Yellowstone National Park, so naturally after Mr. Kay finished with his lecture I was disturbed. He was very persuasive, and after class I found myself thinking that Yellowstone had some serious issues to work out. I found an article that was expressing concern with some economic factors. It mentions how although tourism of Yellowstone has increased, prices have not, which means they do not have money (of course no one ever does) to continue its resource preservation. It also suggests that the elk are an importance source of revenue for the park because over 93% of tourists are there to see the elk. Would decreasing the amount of elk hurt the park financially? And if it did, would the increase in benefits to the ecosystem be enough of a justification for ridding Yellowstone of the elk population? I tend to think Yellowstone has enough other attractions to make the loss of ‘elk profit’ up just fine. Still, it’s clear to me that Yellowstone is in desperate need of some economists.

3 Comments:

At 2:56 PM, Blogger Casey said...

I was at yellowstone, and the first 3-4 elk were fun to see, but the next 5,000 got really boring. I have been to Yellowstone about 4-5 times and have never seen a biighorn sheep while iw as there, and they were the most plentiful before the elk boom. So d rather see a mix of animals than one main one.

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger Kent said...

I believe that tourism to Yellowstone is done for the sake of going to see one of the "wonders" of the west. If people want to see elk there are more appropriate places (like Cache Valleys Hardware Ranch). However, if the survey is true-- a little promotion about the other wonders of Yellowstone will still bring in the crowds.

 
At 4:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I went to Yellowstone, I went for the whole experience. It isn't worth the park entry fee to see a couple of elk, and it's definitely not worth it to brake because someone sees an elk every three miles.

On the other hand, visiting Old Faithful and the other hot springs and pools were much more interesting experiences unique to Yellowstone.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home