Coase Colored Glasses

Monday, April 25, 2005

If there's any doubt about whether incentives matter...

The CEO of Opera Software promised that if one million copies of Opera 8 were downloaded within four days, he'd swim from Oslo, Norway to the U.S. One million, fifty thousands downloads later, he started on his journey.

I want to thank each and every one of the one million plus people who have downloaded Opera 8 over the last days. I am proud to say that this is the most successful browser launch in the ten-year history of Opera. I have received numerous requests over the weekend on whether or not I am going to swim to the USA should we reach one million downloads. Although I blatantly admit that my promise was based more on joy and enthusiasm than my swimming abilities and physical health, I will do my very best to keep it.


Read more about the Opera software company's 1 Million Download Challenge at their home page.

1 Comments:

At 3:17 PM, Blogger Casey said...

this is an odd incentive that is created. It kinda shows people curiosity boredom and wonder all in one. This just shows stunts that as long as your name gets out works. (and hey as long as something can replace anything windows im happy)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home