Coase Colored Glasses

Thursday, January 20, 2005

Incentives Not to Drive Apparently Lacking

As I was driving one of my boss's gas guzziling emission pumping full sized work vans to Smithfield this morning I noticed something. I was far from alone on the roads on this fine fog/smog invested day. As I was driving I heard Al Lewis on AM 610 every 10 minutes or so reminding everyone to drive as little as possible or not at all to help prevent more smog from settling in the valley. The level of pollution and risk to one's health can be check here But neither I or hundreds of other Cache Vally residents were heading his plea. I couldn't blame them because I myself was driving part way across the valley to get to a jobsite. The job had to be done and there was no other way of getting there with the tools that I needed. At least there wasn't another option that was convenient. Convenience is the key. Our society and myself included are so set on doing what is convenient that unless there are strong enough incentives to do something of less convenience it simply will not happen. Except for "feeling good" because you are doing your part to "clean the air" what incentives are there to not drive? The fact that it's cold dimishes the incentive to walk, as does distance. Also the fact that you may be annoyed by riding with other people diminshes the incentive to ride the bus. That all may sound lazy and selfish but incentives are the key to understanding why I and other people do things. It may not seem "right" or "proper" but that is simply the way our society exists. Until there arises some strong incentive for me and other people not to drive their cars and their gas guzziling emission pumping work vans they and I will continue to do so. Simply put, incentives matter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home