Coase Colored Glasses

Monday, January 24, 2005

More than Air

We've been talking a lot about air quality and air pollution because that is a big problem in the Cache Valley area. I've been looking through some of the other problems faced around the world and I know that one in particular is just as big an issue as air quality, and that's water quality.

The EPA has what they call their strategic plan. This plan address: air quality, water quality, land quality and more. This plan covors a lot of issues that are important around the world. As I was looking around I noticed that most websites and people I talked to are only worried about the little area in which they live. What most people don't think about is what happens to the pollution (in the water/air etc.) after it leaves the area. For instance, how many people in Cache Valley really care about where the pollution goes after a storm removes it from the valley. I know that at home, few people care about the smog that gets blown away from Denver, as long as its gone.

More than just the stuff in the air, how many people really worry about where there trash goes, or their dirty water? As long as its taken away, who cares right? I'll freely admit that in a normal day I don't really think about where my trash goes. I take the trash to the garbage bins, the recycling to the drop off point and just let it go. I've found a couple websites that talk about it and one includes an easy (meant for kids) experiment about it. Do you know where your trash goes?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home