Coase Colored Glasses

Thursday, April 21, 2005

Civil Suit Over Bad Water Turned Movie

Last month I rented a DVD from Hastings to watch with my wife that evening to relax a little from the stresses of juggling life. I was a complete idiot though, like I often am in a video store, when all I wanted to do was relax, I wasted inordinate amounts of time in the store just wandering for something to watch. It was not relaxing. It was one of those deals that I’d committed so much time to finding a movie that I was not about to leave empty handed even though all I really wanted to do was just leave.

Well, I finally got to the point that I was going to grab whatever and get out of there. At that moment I spotted a DVD cover with John Travolta on it and it said it was based on a true story so I picked up the movie out of desperation and took it home to watch. The movie I got was “A Civil Action” and it was actually pretty good for a desperation shot. (Usually picking a movie that way is disastrous for me).

Anyhow it was pretty interesting. And I thought it related to this class. I’ve also found a website that talks about the case that the movie was based on. The movie revolves around a town, Woburn, MA, that has an unusually high rate of childhood leukemia amounts its citizens. It turns out that their water wells were contaminated because of a couple companies. The civil case didn’t accomplish much but it was then turned over to the EPA who considers it to be one of its success stories. I just thought it was interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home